Tuesday, 15 December 2009

14th Dec

Having had a bit more time to look at the prints I think they actually look pretty flat compared to the originals. Today I tried to trace them and render them in pencil as was my original plan before I started painting. This looked ok but seemed like a step down in terms of visual impact. The pained work well because the are simple and bold, the compositions are good but don’t really have enough detail to render in delicate shade. Also I thing designing something in one medium with that medium in mind then converting it usually fails. Looking at the photocopies I had made to trace from I thought they added some of the grit and noise that had been lost in the digital prints. I made some more copies onto cardridge paper and started adding watercolour. If I can make it work with just red and blue (sepia looked naff) I think it could make a small scale version alternative to the paintings. I still really want to paste p the paintings but am unwilling to have them removed after a day or so, as such I’ll wait till I get back to London and find a good home for them.

I don’t normally like photocopies but looking some on nice paper really bring home how achievable self publishing at a pretty high standard could be. I’d love to make and a3 publication on cardrige paper with a solid theme and stucture, not just a loose collection of images. Looking at my current pictures I’m thinking murder ballads...

No comments:

Post a Comment